BBC UK World

Nairobi hotel: British man killed in attack

From BBC

Still of two of the attackers caught on CCTV

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

The attackers, two of whom are shown here, were caught on CCTV as they entered the complex

A British man is among at least 14 people killed in an attack on a hotel complex in Kenya’s capital, Nairobi.

Gunmen began the attack on Tuesday. Gunfire and explosions continued into Wednesday before President Uhuru Kenyatta announced the siege had ended.

It is understood a member of the UK Special Forces was involved in the rescue. The Foreign Office said another Briton was also wounded in the attack.

The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack.

The deceased UK citizen was a British-South African dual national, the Foreign Office said.

The UK High Commissioner to Kenya, Nic Hailey, confirmed the death of the as-yet unnamed British man on Twitter.

“I’m very sad to confirm that we believe at least one British national has been killed in the attack,” he said.

“We are providing our support to his family and friends at this very difficult time.”

The Foreign Office added it was “in contact with the Kenyan authorities” and was “ready to help any other British people affected”.

BBC Africa correspondent Andrew Harding said a member of the British SAS – who was in Kenya as part of a training team – was involved in rescuing the hostages from the hotel.

He said the armed special forces soldier entered the hotel complex to help rescue the trapped civilians and, according to a source, fired his weapon.

On Wednesday morning, President Kenyatta announced the assault was over, adding that the “terrorists” had been “eliminated” and more than 700 civilians had been evacuated to safety.

He said: “We will seek out every person that was involved in the funding, planning and execution of this heinous act.

“We are a country governed by laws, rules and regulations – a country that embraces peaceful coexistence… I must also state that we are also a nation that never forgets those who hurt our children.”

The president said 14 “innocent” people had been killed in the attack.

However, the number was queried by the Kenyan Red Cross, who put the death toll at 24.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionNairobi Dusit hotel attack: explosions, gunfire and rescue operation

The US State Department said an American woman was among those killed.

The luxury complex, which houses the DusitD2 hotel as well as offices, is in the Westlands district of the city.

Image copyright
Reuters

The attack began at about 15:00 local time (12:00 GMT) when four gunmen threw bombs at vehicles in the car park, before entering the lobby, where one blew himself up, police say.

A woman working in a neighbouring building told Reuters news agency: “I just started hearing gunshots, and then started seeing people running away raising their hands up and some were entering the bank to hide for their lives.”

Security camera footage showed at least four heavily armed men walking in and opening fire. There are reports they had been seen visiting the compound in recent days.

At 23:00, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i said all the buildings in the complex had been secured by security forces.

“The situation is under control and the country is safe,” he told reporters. “Terrorism will never defeat us.”

But just an hour later gunfire and sporadic explosions were reported in the area. There was more heavy gunfire at about 07:00.

Security forces have been combing their way through the building where frightened workers had barricaded themselves inside. hiding under tables and chairs and in bathrooms.

Image copyright
Getty Images

In the early hours of Wednesday, more than 100 people were rescued. About 30 people are being treated at Nairobi hospitals, media reports say.

At 10:30 local time, President Kenyatta announced the siege had ended and all militants had been killed.

Leave a Comment